Friday 6 June 2014

A Good Kind Of Trouble

A Good Kind Of Trouble

In the year 2009, after only three months on the job I turned in my resignation, walked out the door on my then employer, which actually was my first employer after service year.

The job had turned out to be everything I did not expect it to. Long odd hours without even an appreciation for the effort, and the worst of it all, I had a really bossy boss-if you know what I mean. My resolve was further fueled by the realization that the job offered me no transferrable skill which could really help my desired career path though the pay was great.

I went back home and worked on my idea, turned it into a manuscript and a few months later the first draft of ‘What The Blind Girl Saw’ was ready. Then my headache began; I needed funds to get it published. After months of hoping for a miracle without any forthcoming I sat to share my heart and frustrations with a friend, not with the hope of getting any form of help, just for understanding and unburdening of my heart.

After I laid myself bare, my friend did the unimaginable; he sent a knife through my heart! The knife were words actually, here is what he said: ‘if you had not resigned your job, you wouldn’t be here lamenting over money to print your book’. Very sharp knife. Not what I needed at such a time but I gathered myself and responded: ‘if I had held on to that job, I’d truly have had the money, but there would have been no book to print! I would rather have a manuscript without money to take it to press than have the money and be visionless and purposeless’! End of story.

Today ‘What The Blind Girl Saw’ has seen the light of day. Over a thousand copies sold, both in Nigeria, UK, Ghana and North America and I got loads of positive feedback and compliments which is an author’s delight.

Since that time I have had to make many more such hard choices, where I picked the painful path of following my convictions over temporal reward. I am not playing down the place and importance of money; I am rather saying that some things are so important that they are worth deferring gratification.

Each of us will find ourselves at such crossroad in our sojourn through life, where we will have to make that decision for temporal reward or for long term impact. I hope you’ll take the higher path.

There are things worth more than money and you will have to determine what that is for you. Whatever it is for you, be rest assured that it will be well worth the price in the long run, it's good trouble

1 comment:

  1. Great write up Otosin
    I was greatly blessed by your first book ''What the Blind Girl Saw''
    So glad you had to pay a very high price to be a blessing to your world. You are indeed a great man!
    I have made up my mind not to waste the person ''I am''

    ReplyDelete