Sunday 15 June 2014

Laughing At Myself: A Personal Story


Back in the days when life was still pretty much a struggle I used to fall ill a lot. I didn’t need any diagnosis. I knew exactly what the nature of my illness was. It was always malaria.

On this day I fell ill again – or so I thought. After three days of struggling and managing I decided to get some mediation. I had no need for a doctor; I already knew what was wrong with my health.

As I made the long tiring walk to the nearest chemist, I thought to have a meal first after all I couldn’t take any medication on an empty stomach so I stopped at a good restaurant.

No mama-put this time as it’s been a long time since I last had a decent meal and my stomach greatly craved one. So to the restaurant I went. When I got back home, I stopped at my door and had a good laugh. I was laughing at myself!

Here is what happened: I have forgotten to visit the chemist to get the drug!

After a plate of good meal I was feeling great, when I got up from my seat, I did not remember I was even sick in the first place not to talk of needing mediation.

After my meal, what was left on my mind was home. It was when I arrived at my door that I realized I failed to visit the chemist which is why I actually left home in the first place.

Or let’s say I did get my medication, just not the kind I had thought. My illness was not malaria, not even, stress. My illness was hunger and poor feeding.

Back then I was a young man with great ambitions and too little means. I end up always trying to conserve on food, so much of my meal consisted of junks: biscuits and casa flakes. That was much easier for a meal cos it didn’t need cooking.

So after an extended period of junking and an overload of work it was only natural that my body system starts to complain and then break down.

And the medication I needed was good food; luckily that was what I got.

What a lesson. I really enjoyed playing that experience back in my mind and getting a great laugh.
When was the last time you laughed at yourself, or do you recall a time when you misdiagnosed/misjudged your situation.

Will you like to share your story? I’ll be too glad to read and share it on my blog. Just send to  theotosin@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment